We believe the mission of Central Presbyterian Church is to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ by demonstrating God's love to all people through:
- Striving to strengthen and develop our personal relationship with God through Christ
- Loving and caring for our church family
- Sustaining an ever-improving Christian Education program
- Working for the health and welfare of our community, extending our programs and facilities to the community
- Reaching out globally by sharing our resources
- This is in obedience to the Great Commission of Jesus to make disciples for the Kingdom of God.
What We Believe
As Central Presbyterian Church, a church of Jesus Christ, we believe:
- In God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ who is Savior and Lord, and the Holy Spirit.
- The Old and New Testaments of the Holy Bible are the unique and authoritative witness to God through Jesus Christ, and serve as our guide to faith and practice.
- God is with us in all we do. We cannot be separated from God's love.
- We are a family, called by God to worship faithfully, to grow together spiritually, and to serve our neighbors joyfully.
- God intends that we should be a living witness to all people, and through the grace of God, provide comfort and hope where there seems to be none.
- We are called to use our God-given gifts to help meet the needs of our community.
The first Presbyterian services of worship in western Stark County were held in a carpenter shop on the north side of State Street between Eighth and Ninth streets. These services led to the organization of a Presbyterian Church in Massillon.
In 1831, a church building was erected in the woods on the brow of the hill between Kendal and Massillon, what is now Federal and Sixth Streets NE. Subsequently, in 1837 a lot was purchased at the intersection of Federal and Second Streets NE. The First Presbyterian Church suffered a financial setback and was dissolved. The congregation was, nevertheless, reformed and in 1853 the building was enlarged and became Second Presbyterian Church.
Second Presbyterian Church was torn down in 1905 to make room for the present stone church. The first recorded use of the name "Central" was in May, 1926. Beginning in 1991 the church building was totally restored. In 1993 the Massillon Chamber of Commerce chose Central Presbyterian to receive the Community improvement Award. The church celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2001.
Central Presbyterian Church is committed to Massillon and ministry in this community, thus the decision in the 80's to remain a downtown church.