The first Presbyterian services of worship in western Stark County were held in a carpenter shop on the north side of State Street between Eighth and Ninth streets. These services led to the organization of a Presbyterian Church in Massillon.
In 1831, a church building was erected in the woods on the brow of the hill between Kendal and Massillon, what is now Federal and Sixth Streets NE. Subsequently, in 1837 a lot was purchased at the intersection of Federal and Second Streets NE. The First Presbyterian Church suffered a financial setback and was dissolved. The congregation was, nevertheless, reformed and in 1853 the building was enlarged and became Second Presbyterian Church.
Second Presbyterian Church was torn down in 1905 to make room for the present stone church. The first recorded use of the name “Central” was in May, 1926. Beginning in 1991 the church building was totally restored. In 1993 the Massillon Chamber of Commerce chose Central Presbyterian to receive the Community improvement Award. The church celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2001.
Central Presbyterian Church is committed to Massillon and ministry in this community, thus the decision in the 80’s to remain a downtown church.